Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An interesting day!

I was alerted yesterday by a fellow birder that there were a few interestng birds about so I was out today to search! It was not long before I had located a Scoter out to sea and although distant I was pretty certain it was a Velvet Scoter. As I returned 3 Swallows flew east over the Little Lagoon and a Kingfisher put in an appearance. As I approached the Lagoon I noticed the bushes were full of Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and Redwings...obviously driven in from cooler climes by the N/East wind of the past few days.
On the Lagoon the Black Necked Grebe was showing really well although spending a lot of time beneath the surface searcing for food. And then....the bird I really wanted to see....a Scaup. These don't turn up too often here but there it was and although well hidden in the reeds, it did in the end, show very well. As a bonus a female Goldeneye was nearby but it preferred to keep company with the Tufted Ducks. The light was not good enough for photography but hopefully tomorrow will improve.

No comments: