Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hawfinches!!


Hawfinches on Pagham Beach !.....Very unlikely but only 20 minutes away in Arundel I found the first Hawfinches I've seen for many years. Although a dull , grey sunless morning persistence paid off and I managed to get a few record shots. Apparently they have been seen for the past week so hopefully they will hang about until the next sunny day (for improved photographic conditions).
Yesterday was an interesting day with a Mandarin Duck along the Breech Pool looking somewhat out of place in his splendid 'dress'. 3 Avocets and a Spotted Redshank were showing well, Cettis Warblers bursting into song and many Reed Buntings included in the mixed finch flocks.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Hawfinch, wow!

I've never seen one, their beaks are massive, almost scary. Surprising they're such shy birds.

Tricia Ryder said...

Lucky you - and WOW too; would be a lifer for me as well! I must get down to Pagham again but will have to wait for 2-3 weeks yet.

Graham James said...

I'm green with envy PB, in 28 years of birding I've still to connect with my first Hawfinch!!!