Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

After the storm...


  ..I expected some surprises with Pagham Spit teeming with rare vagrants but alas this was not to be!
Nevertheless there were plenty of  'the usual'. The early morning light was just perfect for some camera work so a wander up to the hide was a must.
A Curlew was feeding in the salt marsh and allowed a fairly close approach...they are usually a bit jumpy when approaching so this was a good opportunity to obtain a few shots.

On the alert...I was getting TOO close so I backed off and left him in peace.Add caption
 As I approached the hide I was aware of a flock of Meadow Pipits feeding along the tide line. These are very often understated birds but in the early morning sunshine...WOW!




Superb little birds.
I then met Tim, on holiday from Bedfordshire and amongst things discussed the merits of Pagham and he encouraged me to keep this blog going as he said he was a regular reader! (Someone reads it!! )
As I returned for a coffee I took a few more photos of our common residents and realised how often I just pass these by without a second look..

Little Egret lurking in the shallows

Goldfinch ...feeding on  teazles.
Greenfinch
Sun still shining at 9.30 am so off to the North Wall... after a cool start the warmth of the sun could be felt and a Wood Pigeon was actually sun bathing in the horse field by the Salthouse.
Enjoying the sun!
...and then a Lapwing joined him and started feeding.
 I continued along the North Wall and noted  the Canada Geese were still accompanied by the Barnacle  Goose together with a few hybrids.A Buzzard was feeding at the back of Honer field and a Kestrel flew by and then...highlight of the morning...a Marsh Harrier quartering the reed bed...a bit distant but still nice to see. (too distant for even a record shot! )

Time to return but a brief stop at the sluice gate to have a last look.
Redshank
Distant Golden Plover

Little Egret preening
Grey Plover

Wigeon pair

I'm getting to like living at Pagham!

No comments: