Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Back from Cornwall









Its always good to return to base on Pagham Beach after a time away. Good to see that the Brent Geese are returning with a number of young birds; looks as if they have had a successful breeding season in the Arctic. Good to see the Spit hide has been cleaned out and is useable again. Good to see that we have not been washed away despite work on the promised rock revetment has not begun.
So, having noted all the 'special' birds I have missed (i.e. Great White Egret, Rose Coloured Starling, Jack Snipe etc.) I wandered along the North Wall to see if I could catch up with the Ring Ouzel reported on Saturday. I was joined by Peter C and together we searched in vain...plenty of Blackbirds and a couple of Song Thrushes but alas no Ouzels despite hundreds being seen earlier last week in the east of the county.

Rather than coming back with no photos I took a couple of shots of the regular species but nothing unusual....
Reed Bunting (f)

Snipe ...not Jack!

A hunched up Heron

At 12.45 I sauntered up to the Spit hide and suddenly all the waders and ducks took flight and looking towards the North wall I noted a Marsh Harrier and as I watched, it circled, gaining height, going higher and higher until I lost it even with binoculars as it drifted east. How do you estimate the height of a flying bird...I guess it could have been a thousand feet.

Well that's it for holidays this year but now its a concentrated effort for those elusive Ring Ouzels. Perhaps third time lucky up to Cisbury Ring may prove successful! 

...and just for the record ...from Pendeen in Cornwall

Daurian Shrike with bee



Black Winged Stilt at Hayle

    


   





No comments: