Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Goldies!



Living on the beach, as we do,  is not an ideal habitat for Tits so it is always good when they visit us. This morning we had both Great and Blue Tits...they didn't stay long and were gone within  a minute or so...I just happened to be going out on my morning walk with the camera.
Visiting BlueTit

Add caption

...and Great Tit
 I made my way down the eastern side of the harbour and it wasn't long before a flock of Golden Plovers were twisting and wheeling before landing on the mud flats...a fair way out but closer than usual. They are never easy to photograph but a few record shots were possible.





They look great in the sunshine!
As I was enjoying the Goldies I was joined by Andy House and we just enjoyed the unusually  warm Autumn sunshine whilst scanning the waders and gulls. 
A couple of Gulls caught our attention....
...a Lesser Black Backed and a more unusual Yellow Legged Gull...interesting to be able to compare the species side by side. There were a few Spotted Redshanks, 3 Greenshanks and the usual Redshanks and Dunlin. ( I missed the Curlew Sandpiper)


I went on in the hope of getting my Kinfisher with 'fish in the beak shot' and although I saw the bird there was far too much visitor disturbance. I must make it earlier next time.

On my return the only bird of note was a lone Wheatear.


A fabulous Autumnal morning.....long may this weather last but it is not too conducive for passing migrants. The forecast is for a change in the weather by the weekend....good and bad news!

No comments: