Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Mid-week update

As I was photographing Stonechats on Pagham Spit this morning I happened to look up and to my surprise a Marsh Harrier was circling high above me. Although the camera settings were all wrong I was at least able to capture a few record shots, albeit distant 'cropped' shots.




I can't recall having seen a Marsh Harrier directly over the spit before...nice bird!

I continued watching a pair of Stonechats and managed a few photos...by stealth!






The male was a little more wary and more difficult to approach.

 ...but patience was rewarded.

It was a cloudy morning but when the sun came out even the rusty metal work of the harbour entrance looked attractive!

 ...but my attention was drawn to a resplendent Goldeneye coming in with the tide.


 Superb drakes...I just love them!


Brents against a darkening sky over Pagham Church.

 Here's a few random shots from Sunday and Monday....
Distant shot of Peregrines on "their" log!

Several Reed Buntings 'dropped' in.
Linnet bathing in a puddle.


Carrion Crow
 Recently there has been an influx of Magpies on the spit...on one morning their were thirteen of them!


If they were not so common we would marvel at them!


Always expect the unexpected....what's next?

No comments: