Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Yesterday was yet another foggy day day...for the most part.
Today was a different story and the morning started off bright but cold. An early walk to the North Wall alongside the harbour was pleasant but a little chilly.
A Dunnock showed up on a bramble and looked at its best in the low, bright sunshine.

Dunnock...a very under stated bird.

Out on the mudflats Black Tailed Godwits and Grey Plovers were feeding with Wigeon, Teal and Shelducks foraging in the channels. A few Redshanks were feeding along Whites Creek and the Spotted Redshank was in its 'usual' spot. It was just within 'photographable distance' whereas everything was too far out for my lens. So a few shots of the 'Spot Red'...










A Cormorant flew up the channel...........




As I was photographing a Teal...

 ...Ian Redman arrived anxious to find a Wheatear having seen my earlier note of a pair being on the beach on Monday. I had had a quick check along the beach before I set out from home and couldn't locate any but very often they do turn up on the rocks along the Wall. This was not to be this morning but whilst we were chatting a small mammal appeared and ran in and out of the rocks. I  immediately thought it was a Stoat but later decided it was a Weasel as it did not have a black tip to the tail. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Nevertheless it entertained us for a few minutes before disappearing.




A very pretty little creature!


There was little else of note so I made my way home admiring the Blackthorn in flower...



..and then on the beach on a rather distant post...a WHEATEAR!!!


Sorry about that Ian and Peter (who has spent an hour or so searching the Spit earlier in the week)

That's birding!

No comments: