Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Cuckoo chase!

For the past few days I have been trying to convince myself that there is a rufous or brown morph Cuckoo present in the bushes surrounding the western end of the Lagoon. There have certainly been two Cuckoos and at times I have been convinced there has been a third. 
This morning as I was on my early morning recce I was suddenly aware of two Cuckoos chasing each other. One was calling and flew along the spit towards the Little Lagoon and the other disappeared. However I  soon noticed a bird in a hawthorn and as I approached cautiously it was indeed a very rufous coloured Cuckoo. I approached cautiously and with a little stealth was able to get a decent view and some photographs....

Initially a bit distant.



...but with care, I nailed it!

For comparison the 'standard' male Cuckoo





This bird has been present for some time, no doubt attracted by an endless supply of Brown Tail Moth Caterpillars.
                       *******************************

A pair of Whitethroats were very busy feeding nestlings in a patch of bramble/nettles where a couple of weeks ago, I noted nest building activities.













 The Coots nest had survived the heavy overnight rain



...whilst a Heron fished nearby.



Another good morning!
  

No comments: