Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Just as soon as I set out for the Spit hide  I realised there were a few migrants on the move...Hirundines mostly but Warblers, Chats and Pipits. A couple of Wheatears were in the old car park area and as I set up the camera a group of 6 Meadow Pipits literally fell out of the sky into a bush not 20 feet away from me.

Wheatears looking good in  the early morning Autumn sunshine


One of the six Meadow Pipits.


...and another Wheatear on the shoreline
Swallows and House Martins were mainly hawking insects over the Lagoon but a few occasional rested on the telephone wires.

Plenty of waders in the harbour but this Curlew caught my eye as it was fishing for crabs with great success.
Curlew...crabbing
...whilst this Herring Gull watched on

Back in the garden I played with the camera experimenting with varying backgrounds with a resident Dunnock.


....and then a Blue Tit posed for the camera.

is that a feather out of place!
 Well that's it for Pagham Spit but I was up at Cissbury yesterday looking for Ring Ouzels and I notice that Alastair from Brighton put a comment on the SOS web site. I met him for the first time and we watched the Yew  tree for some time as we chatted but as he mentioned we only saw 2 Mistle Thrushes...here they are.

A couple of Mistle Thrushes in THE tree.
t ...and then it was on Pulborough Brooks





...and a few Phylloscopus.

In Fattingates a Great Spot showed well.


 A couple of Redstarts and 2 Spotted Flycatchers also present around the reserve.

No comments: