Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Friday, August 26, 2016

A good sprinkling of birds....Autumn on the way!


As soon as I arrived at the North Wall this morning a Hobby flew in a straight line fast across the harbour disappearing over Honer Farm...no photo (caught me unprepared!)

Then a Reed Bunting perched on a branch and eyed me up and down for a few seconds.


 The Breech Pool held numerous waders...the highlight being five Little Stint...here's a couple.


Two Avocets were present but later flew off to the mud bank in the harbour.
Avocet with Dunlin

A closer look at the Avocet.

The cattle were in the field so I was hoping a few Yellow Wagtails would have found them.
 I wasn't disappointed...there must have been fifty or so.













I'm sorry to put so many photos on but the numbers were impressive!

A Whitethroat was feeding up on blackberries...




There was a Whinchat and a Wheatear on the wire fence behind the pool  and several Robins were present...I have noted an influx on the Spit during the past few days as well.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the caterpillar species which is currently stripping my silver birch!

Buff Tips (thanks Dave )

                                                               

No comments: