Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Spring into summer.


I was pleasantly surprised to find this Shelduck on Friday with a total of eleven youngsters in Whites Creek near the sluice.






Irresistible photographic subjects!






Breech Pool was very quiet with a pair of Black Tailed Godwits....







They were very wary of my approach and made off.



...and the usual Tufted Ducks

Male and female (below)


Other subjects were scarce so the Swan, up the rife, caught my attention !

She was obviously watching me as well!



During the week I have been practising my Tern photography attempting to capture the moment of entry into the water...with limited success!


Sandwich Terns are the most obvious choice as they are the largest but it is still incredibly difficult to judge the correct moment














Missed it again!


                          ....but this bird was also  unsuccessful in capturing its prey!





 Off to try again....and so shall I on another day!

I gave up on the Common Terns




---and the little Terns







Oystercatchers are always present in the harbour and are fantastic subjects to photograph.
Just look at the orange eye ring and the long bright orange beak...fantastic birds!






Here are few Skylark photos to finish off the week













...and finally a bumble bee on thrift.





No comments: