Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Bittern at last.

Having known that there has been a Bittern (or 2 !) in the Breech Pool area for a little while and having had no joy during several visits, I eventually had success today after meeting a fellow birder who told me one had 'crashed' into the reedbed just before I arrived. After waiting patiently on the North Wall for 20 minutes or so and getting colder as the minutes ticked by the bird flew up and headed away from me towards the reeds before dropping out of view again. Not exactly a close up view but nevertheless a nice bird to see.

Apparently I also arrived a few minutes  too late to see a male Hen Harrier flying from the reedbed over the trees....story of my life!

As a matter of interest whilst looking  from my window yesterday I noted a flock of about 60 Eider Ducks flying east.

The Scaup remains in the harbour visible at a distance from the Spit hide.

No comments: