Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Life and Death

As I carried out my Breeding Bird Survey on Pagham spit this morning I was again impressed by the vegetation....


A couple of nests were occupied and it was good to discover an Oystercatcher within the fenced area. The Ringed Plover is very close to the path outside the protected area and is easily disturbed; my hopes are not high in view of the number of  occasions it will inevitably be leaving the  nest.


Ringed Plover

Oystercatcher...with surprisingly wide variation in ground colur and markings.
A visit to the North Wall and visitors will not have missed the Song Thrush who has been singing his heart out for the past few days down the approach track!

The Glossy Ibis is still present but then the awful discovery of a dead Buzzard in the field behind Owl Copse. I am no expert on the cause of death but the bird was in the open, face down with wings spread.
...as I found it
how did it die?

No comments: