Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Breech Pool

The morning started looking dull and uninviting and a visit to the Spit hide was fruitless. As the morning improved I was attracted by the numerous Starlings visiting the fat balls on the bird table so decided to give the camera an  'airing' and captured a few of the Sturnus Vulgarae in various states of plumage.



Although they may be very common they are querky birds and quite attractive when seen at close quarters.

Late morning and the weather improved  so took a trip to Breech Pool to look for waders. As I arrived I could see the familiar figure of Dave Potter hunched over his '500' and not so far away a Green Sandpiper posing for him.  As usual, I didn't have my camera so decided to return home, grab the camera and within 20 minutes returned to the spot...sandpiper gone! (It was alleged that I  spooked it as I made off ) However the bird did return for a short while and I was able to get a few very quick shots before it flew off again and then remained out of distance for the next couple of hours.
Here are my efforts...I just hope Dave enjoyed the quality time prior to my arrival and got some cracking piccys!



Curlews arriving over Breech Pool

Very little else showed up but a small flock of Curlews flew over and 2 Spotted Redshanks were present. Although very distant the Spotted really stood out and this very cropped shot shows how  distinctive this bird is, when seen with its cousins.
Spotted Redshank

No comments: