Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Red Backed Shrike....what a bird!



Having noted many of the 'flickr' photographs of a  Red Backed Shrike I decided I would make the trip to Tidemills, Newhaven yesterday.
I have never known such an amazing bird, completely unphased by human presence! At first I felt that the group of birders at the site were unfair, harassing the bird, following it from bush to bush but I soon realised it was feeding quite happily whilst being photographed at short range flying within inches of the clicking cameras.
Having obtained some classic shots I tried to obtain a few 'different' shots but it wasn't easy as it seemed to pose beautifully on the highest bramble or stick in the area.
However here are a few of the 700+ shots I took in the two hour  session! I'm sorry if you get bored but I was bowled over by this charismatic bird....now virtually extinct in the U.k. as a breeding species. This is a juvenile ....pity it wasn't an adult male!
















Here it is at one of several 'larders' where it impales its prey.



































Finally....a querky close up!

What a fantastic bird!

No comments: