Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

A dull, dreary and drizzly December Day but suddenly.....

....I looked up from my cosy log fire mid afternoon and was surprised to see a mass of white just offshore....diving Gannets!


There were at least 60 birds in a feeding frenzy circling and diving...very impressive. I grabbed the camera and began shooting through the double glazing. The light was poor but sufficient to obtain some record shots...it was just a pleasure to watch these amazing birds and reminded me of my visit to Bempton Cliffs a couple of years ago....here they were on my doorstep!









I knew I had witnessed a similar flock of Gannets from the window before and having checked the diary noted a flock of 60 were seen on Christmas Day 2004! 

Hoping to see them a little closer I wandered up the Spit but by this time they were off Selsey Bill .
However the two long stay Goosanders were in the main channel  but soon made off at my approach.




A very Happy Christmas to one and all.

No comments: