Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Barn Owl at last!

The morning was bright and sunny and I was tempted out  to have a short walk along the North Wall but time was strictly limited. Initially I thought it was very quiet birdwise but as I strolled along with Ian I listening to a couple of Cettis Warblers and watching a few Chiffchaffs I noticed this flock of Black Tailed Godwits wheeling to and fro across the Halsey fields catching the light and looking absolutely stunning!




Eventually they came closer ...
...and eventually landed on the mud






..and began feeding...a few beginning to gain the summer plumage. 



Then this 'bird' arrived...maybe of interest to someone.
This is apparently a Pilatus 12-12/47E 11 seater fixed wing single engine turbo prop  built in 2011.I only know this as the registration  LX JFC can be seen in the original  and Google gave me the details.It flew over the harbour and looked a little unusual.
Returning to the sluice gate I met Andrzej and we both attempted to photograph an obliging Great Crested Grebe

..but looking down at a bird is never a good way to obtain a decent photo. It was nigh impossible to get down to be on a level with the bird.  
Interestingly it appeared to be catching prawns.

Then just as I said my 'good byes' I noticed the Barn Owl quartering the reed bed at quite some distance but as I approached along the footpath behind the stables the owl came closer.

















A fine end to a brief visit

No comments: