Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Saturday, December 11, 2021

A winter Whitethroat!

A cool but windless morning on Pagham spit this morning.

As I was approaching the harbour entrance I noticed a couple of female House Sparrows in the last bramble patch but took little notice until I glimpsed another small warbler like bird accompanying them. I thought it looked Whitethroat like but dismissed it because it was December and it should have migrated weeks ago! However I took one shot of it before it disappeared towards the harbour wall and was lost to sight. After a short search I decided it had flown across the harbour and thought no more about it. However, when later I was looking at my photos I found the above very poor record shot but it was just sufficient to confirm that it was indeed a Whitethroat. Surely this is an exceptionally late record. Comments anyone?
I continued my wander around the spit and for the record  took a few photos.

A Grey Heron was cautiously approaching a suitable fishing spot.

Flocks of Brent were commuting from the shoreline to the harbour
The Goosanders were fishing near the old Little Lagoon. I've noticed that Black Headed Gulls very often hang around them, hoping to pinch a snack.  
However the regular dog walkers do disturb them rather frequently and they make off but will often return to fish in peace in 'their' spot.

I love Stonechats...they are so photogenic and there are currently two pairs on the spit.








There was a huge flock of Brents  seen towards the North Wall.

I checked that the female Goldeneye was still on the Lagoon and flushed a Mistle Thrush from a nearby bush (very unusual for here)



Back in the garden on the beach a leucistic House Sparrow (f) was waiting for a vacancy on the bird table.
You never know what's going to turn up at Pagham!

No comments: