Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Friday, September 23, 2022

An evening stroll with a surprise!

 Yesterday morning  I had a male and female Blackcap  in the garden and that usually indicates that migrants have arrived overnight and that the North Wall in Pagham Harbour would be alive with birds!

Alas, only a few Chifchaffs and a Blackcap were amongst the 'usuals' along the wall but I did meet Les who remarked that a Barn Owl was seen the previous evening. So, at about 5.30 I set out for the North Wall and was pleased to find two Curlew Sandpipers by the sluice gate.


As I was taking a few photos I looked up and saw Les beckoning me to come quickly. I thought he had seen the Barn Owl so hurried along and there on the Breech Pool....A Glossy Ibis! 

What a surprise....the light wasn't particularly good for photos but having taken almost 200 shots I show below a couple of the ones that show the amazing beak and the iridescence of the wings 


What a bird (but no sign of the Barn Owl)!


No comments: