Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Back to base

After a week or so in the West Country its back to base on Pagham Spit. A lot has changed since I've been away with the harbour full of Wigeon and waders and Brent Geese arriving in droves (perhaps small flocks would be more appropriate). There is a definite feel of Autumn and there were hundreds of hirundines over the Lagoon this morning with Chiffchaffs in the bushes and Stonechats on the gorse.

Chiffchaff
 I took a stroll along the North Wall and a flock of 60 Golden Plover were wheeling over the harbour and  Bar Tailed and Black Tailed Godwits  were present in Whites channel accompanying the Redshanks and Curlew. Breech Pool was  very full with no muddy edges as it was before I went on hols and the only birds were Teal, Mallards and a Snipe.

....all very different to Cornwall where I was able to catch up with a Buff Breasted Sandpiper


 and happened to be at Marazion when 7 Red Rumped Swallows were passing through...not the easiest birds to photograph but a record shot....

Nevertheless Pagham has SO much to offer and I always appreciate returning to my home patch!
On my final walk around the spit at 5.45 this afternoon I was surprised to see so many Red Admiral and Peacock butterflies  about on the ivy florets.

No comments: