Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

A superb Spring morning with not a breath of wind ...a distant Cuckoo calling from the Church Norton side of the harbour.

In the harbour still  four Brent Geese and the Swancontinues to sit on what appears to be a shallow nest on New Island.
A Whitethroat was feeding in the gorse alongside the path but the birds most obvious were the Greenfinches with at least 4 pairs calling and singing throughout the Spit...it certainly seems they have made a comeback following several years with reduced numbers. About 6 pairs of Linnets gave the impression of breeding.
Two pairs of  Skylarks were present and two Ringed Plovers were anxious as I walked along the beach...a good sign and I left well alone.

A few Little Terns were flying up the main channel and a very confiding Whimbrel was feeding close to the hide.

In the evening  15 noisy Whimbrel were flying east over the harbour and  I discovered the Ringed Plovers nest and directed two walkers away from the site. Then quite suddenly a Cuckoo called not so very far away. I had my camera and although it meant I shot into the light I managed to get my first ever record of a Cuckoo on the Spit
 It stayed for about 20 seconds before making off!

Not a great shot but its a record.

No comments: