Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Turtle Dove alert.

Following a tip off from local birder Peter Callis who had heard one, if not two Turtle Doves near Honer Farm yesterday I set off to Pagham Wall at 7.30am and it wasn't long before I had located the 'purring' of a Turtle Dove in the designated copse.
 I approached and located the bird on a very exposed branch, watched it for about 20 seconds in full view when it flew off to a hawthorn in the adjacent field. These birds are becoming increasingly rare  but 20 years ago they were a common sight and sound around the area. For the past few years I have noted a pair in this same area and its good to know they are still returning  albeit in far smaller numbers.

Apart from this,  the Reed and Sedge warblers were in good voice and I watched a pair of Reed Buntings collecting nesting  material and returning time and again to a tussock of grass at the foot of the reed bed.

A distant Cuckoo called and the peace and quiet of the morning was shared with just two other  'early' birders.....

Incidentally, I nipped up to Pulborough Brooks yesterday to see the much photographed Nightingales that featured so strongly on the S.O.S. web site whilst I was away. Click on 'My Photostream on   Flickr'  on the right to see this little beauty!

No comments: