Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

After a very damp start to the day the sun came out and I made my way to the North Wall. As I passed the Lagoon there were at least two pairs of Pochard, numerous Wigeon and Tufted Ducks and a couple of distant Goldeneye. The ever present Little Grebes were fishing near the reeds....

Dabchick
There were plenty of Lapwings, Redshank, Shelduck and a single Spotted Redshank in Whites Creek but nothing unusual. Wigeon were feeding near the sliuce gate...
This slendid drake Wigeon  showed well in the sunshine

As I reached the Salthouse a Kingfisher zoomed past but little else of interest until I met Jim Western
who led me  to a Little Owl  viewable across the field by the parked cars...too distant for a decent shot...a pity as it was showing really well in the sunshine...
Little Owl....(record shot!)
The resident Robin was singing its heart out as we watched!
In the afternoon, as I had to go to Worthing, I decided to nip into to Widewater to see if the Goosander and the Scoter were still present...neither showed up!
I did however meet Arthur for the first time (Artisanart on Flickr) and together we enjoyed a pair of Red Breasted Mergansers in 'battle' mood which gave us both an opportunity for some action shots!











Real agression!


Nice Mergansers ....shame about missing the Goosander!

No comments: