Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Widewater visit.

After  a very wet morning the sun appeared and I felt the need to go in search of the Dusky Warbler to at least get a record shot of the bird. Alas....it was not to be! Several birders were wandering about pretty aimlessly and it had neither been seen nor heard.
Next stop Widewater, Lancing to try for the reported Scoter which had been around for a few days. On arrival I met three photographers all with long faces...never a good sign. The only birds around were a Redshank, Little Egret and a few Little Grebes. I had just about given up when I met a couple of birdwatchers who were obviously locals who told me it was at the far end and I'd probably missed it!
I hurried back to the eastern end of Widewater and there it was hiding behind the first island....too distant for a decent photo but sufficient for a few record shots.
 Time was not on my side and I had to depart all too soon but as I was driving away with all gear packed away two chaps with cameras were running! I caught them up and sure enough the Scoter was close to the bank. Leaping out the car, extracting the equipment from the case inside the boot and trying to hand hold a 700mm lens only to see the bird now making its way to the other side was not an ideal conclusion to my venture but nevertheless a few shots herewith!!
The female Scoter at Widewater


...and a couple of shots of a pair of Red Breasted Mergansers



I think the reflection of the buildings in the water gives an interesting effect...nice birds, too!

No comments: