Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spring has Sprung.....at Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve.

Arrived at Pulborough Brooks at 8.15am and the mist was just lifting. As soon as I opened the car door the joyful sound of a Blackcap greeted me!
I made my way down the zig-zag (now partly tarmacked....grrrrr!) amid the songs of several Chichaffs and watched a couple of Bullfinches nipping off fresh buds.

 Into Fattingates where I met Frank and Val Sugs enjoying the peace and quiet and telling me of the Cuckoo they found in Ashdown Forest on the early date of April 6.  A single Redwing was calling in one of the oak trees before flying off.
I continued and heard my first Willow Warbler and watched a Robin building a nest close to the path leading to West Meads.
A male and female Pheasant were foraging in the wet grass as I wandered up Adder Alley....

 As I made my way along to the Hangar a Wren was busy creating a nest seemingly oblivious to my presence.





After a coffee I made my way down to the Black Pond and as I did so I was aware of the  song of a Wood Lark coming from the 'Nightjar' area...this was the highlight of my day although I never did see him, let alone get a photo....but such a wonderful sound!
A Great Spotted Woodpecker was pecking out a nest hole in a very old rotten tree and a Nuthatch was calling non stop from the top of a birch...on and on he went but with no response from a prospective mate!


He was certainly persistent!

No comments: