Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Monday, July 4, 2016

A new visitor....


I don't often see Stock Doves on the beach and when I do they are quite skittish so it was another case of 'grab the camera' for a shot through the double glazing, when a pair turned up early this morning. They were on the beach obviously searching for weed seeds.


They were not easy to capture, the light was against me and they kept disappearing into the long grass...here's the best of the bunch.









The morning was sunny but cool and there were Swifts hawking over the Lagoon...another photographic challenge! Not easy for such a 'swift' bird!







 I'm altogether happy with these heavily cropped photos and  will have another 'go' before its too late...they will return to winter quarters very soon now.



After watching this Mute Swan on the Lagoon in ideal conditions  I thought maybe I should to stick to somewhat easier photographic subjects in future !

Next was a quick visit to the North Wall where there was a single Common Sandpiper in Whites Creek which was too far away to capture. However I did meet Peter Callis searching  for Yellow Legged Gulls. I'm not sure if he was successful as I had to leave, to deal with less exciting domesticities! Anyway here's one I captured earlier, as they say!

Yellow Legged Gull

(Not from my Pagham Harbour collection I hasten to add!)

A pair of Common Terns were present so a few more flight photos!



 By this time the sun had 'gone in' ...hence these rather lifeless photos but terns are irresistible subjects regardless of the lighting conditions!

No comments: