Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Saturday, September 21, 2019

A new garden bird!!

Well hardly a garden bird but certainly a 'from the window' tick!!
At 10 past 8 this morning  I casually looked out the window and noticed a few gulls over the sea  battling against a strong east wind. As I looked out I thought it looked like a morning for off shore gannets which very often appear in these conditions. My attention was drawn however, to a particular bird that was not battling against the wind but was circling in large arcs just off the Church Norton spit a good half mile away. I grabbed my bins and called to my wife  'I think I've got an Osprey...come and look while I get the 'scope on it". As I was setting up the scope she said, 'thats an Osprey alright'. Once I had it in the 'scope  there was no doubt about it, so next, I had to get a photo. It was not much more than a dot to the naked eye but  I did manage to get a few record shots. It was still there an hour later having watched it plunge and catch what appeared to be a decent sized Mullet I wandered along the Pagham Spit in an attempt to get a better shot but when a kite surfer disturbed it I managed a very long distance flight shot as it headed towards Sidlesham. So here a few shots of my newest 'garden' bird!!
First sighting!

With the fish....first shot


Moving fish to safer ground



Top left is offending kite surfer.



Heading off to the west side of harbour.





I know they are rotten photos but to me it was a memorable moment from inside the bungalow. 


Earlier in the week a record of a Wheatear on the spit....several are presently passing through each day on their way to the African continent.






Great birds to photograph!





No comments: