Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

A Wryneck at last.

Just back from a week in Suffolk and news that a Wryneck had been reported at the Severals for a few days. This was a bird that I had hoped to see whilst on the east coast but the only one reported was a bird caught in a mist net on Havergate Island.
At just before 8.00 am I caught up with a small group of birders on the beach between Church Norton and Selsey to be told it had been showing really well on top of a bramble only about about 10 to 12 metres away. I waited and waited and waited as the group was convinced it had dropped down within the bush and had not moved away. There was a cool east breeze blowing and as I had no top coat (as the others) it was getting unpleasant! Eventually I moved away and noted some Whitethroats and Blackcaps and a Redstart. About an hour and a half later I widened my search convinced the bird was NOT still in the bush . I was back on the main path and about to give up when this elusive bird flew up from the ground from under a ground hugging bramble and disappeared between two other bramble clumps. It soon appeared but a photograph was virtually impossible. However it did at last show well on the top of the bramble but even so there was always a  branch spoiling the photo.
Here are a few photos of this elusive bird....
First glimpse!

Starting to show.

Getting better

...and better!




 ...but still that wretched twig spoilt an otherwise acceptable photo! 

Well at least I didn't 'dip out' but it was a close run thing.

Minsmere highlights to follow in a separate blog later. 

No comments: